This how-to shows you how to generate data from a list of values at random data with the column histogram generator.
Tip: The random column generator can also generate all primary data type (number, date, string) at random. See How to generate random data
Creation of the generator file
To generate data, you need to create a generator file that will describe the data to be generated.
The below data resource generator:
- has the name histogram_random–datagen.yml
- has the simple name histogram_random
- will generate 30 values (MaxRecordCount count)
- has a column named id that has sequence data generator that:
- starts by default at the value 1
- increments by default with the value 1
- has a column named buckets_map with a histogram generator where the buckets property defines a map where:
- the key is the value to generate
- the value is the chance factor of generation (the more, the more chance that you get the value generated)
- has a column named buckets_list with a histogram generator where the buckets property defines:
- a list of values (the chance factor have by default a value of 1)
The two buckets columns (buckets_map and buckets_list) are equivalent.
They defines the buckets as being:
- a list of values
- with a factor of chance of value 1.
MaxRecordCount: 10 Columns: - name: id type: integer comment: A id column to see easily the number of values generated DataGenerator: type: sequence - name: bucket_map type: varchar comment: A column with a random color generator and a map of values with the chance factor DataGenerator: type: histogram Buckets: blue: 1 red: 1 green: 1 - name: bucket_list type: varchar comment: A column with a random color generator and a list of values DataGenerator: type: histogram Buckets: - blue - red - green
Printing the data
With the data print command, we can print the 30 values generated.
tabli data print [email protected]
id bucket_map bucket_list -- ---------- ----------- 1 green blue 2 red blue 3 red green 4 green red 5 blue red 6 red red 7 green blue 8 red blue 9 green blue 10 green green
Because a generator is just a data resource, you can use it in every data operation.