Tabulify recommends to use a bash based terminal because bash supports to pass simply a URL as parameter whereas Windows CMD or Powershell do not.
The Windows CMD or Powershell shell see the & ampersand character of an URL as a special terminal character known as a control operator and split the URL.
For instance, if you want to copy:
- the content of the following URL https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&titles=SQL
- in a CMD/DOS/Powershell terminal
- with the data copy command
tabli data copy "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&titles=SQL" sql.xml
Because of the ampersand, you will get the following error.
=query was unexpected at this time.
- On Windows shell, the ampersand must be then escaped
- While the same command line in a Bash would just run (because Bash creates token (word) of each argument and does not process them any further)
How to get Bash ?
If you does not have bash, we have created a step-by-step tutorial on how to install it.